Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pumpkin Bagels

I have this issue with baking/eating what I've baked... I love it; I mean, I only base my whole diet around carbs and in fall idk anything better than baked carbs, esp if it involves pumpkin.  We only get canned pumpkin a few months out of the year, why not take advantage of it.


I've never once thought about making bagels before, I didn't even really think real people made bagels, I thought it was all about a machine in the back of Bodos.  However, I came across a bagel recipe during a search for vegan pumpkin recipes* and decided that Ryan would really like homemade bagels.
* please note, I'm 100% absolutely NOT a vegan, we just didn't have eggs or milk in the house and I was in no mood to drive off the mountain to go to the store, so: vegan pumpkin recipes.

One of the first recipes I found was for bagels.  I would have ignorantly assumed that bagels were laden with eggs and milk, but nope, they aren't (does this make them just a smidge better for me??)

A little apprehensive about non-machine made bagels, I pulled out the trusty Kitchen Aid and got to work.

Several hours later: pumpkin bagels!...that Ryan was less than thrilled with.  But thats okay, more carbs for me! 

While they taste really good, especially with lots of Country Crock churned butter, they are missing a lil somethin somethin.  I think its sugar, yea thats it! More fat! Duh. For real though, I would add about 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to the recipe next time and see what that does for me.

Pumpkin Bagels

3 1/4 cups flour (you can use all-purpose or bread flour)
3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, warmed slightly in the microwave
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup sugar (remember: I didn't do this but I will next time)

Mix all ingredients together and knead for 4-5 minutes



Stop when you have a thick orange dough



Lightly flour your work surface

                                

Shape dough into a ball




Place ball in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise for 90 minutes (omg! it was so hard to wait that long!)



Feed leftover bits to begging pup


                                       

After your super long wait, reflour your surface and make 12 small balls out of the dough







Now, for the hardest part, something I clearly did not master this time: make the bagel shape.  I read online to poke a finger through and wiggle it around while simultaenously shaping the dough in a flat circle.  yeah.  I can't do 2 things at once. But whatevs.  Btw- I have NO idea how normal bagels come out smooth?  Mine are all lumpy.





Place 2 or 3 at a time (no more than that!) in a pot of gently boiling water for 1 minute, then flip and let boil for another minute.  Repeat for all bagels.





Bake bagels for at 425* for 20 minutes



Cool on a wire rack






Slather on the fat ;)














No comments:

Post a Comment