Monday, October 10, 2011

Courtney Lately...part 2

Today is Sunday.  I normally don't do anything (except school work) on a Sunday.  But today I totes surprised myself; I did something! I did lots of somethings!  I am so weirdly proud of my productivity level today.  Ryan and his dad are staining our porch and watching them motivated me to get up off the sofa and find something to do.

At first I thought I would clean a little; but then I remembered that I cleaned yesterday and I am allergic to cleaning more than once a week.

After putting much thought into what I could do, I realized I needed to use some leftover pumpkin* I had and that pumpkin spice muffins sounded totally awesome.

*I made pumpkin pancakes yesterday; delicious.  Just add pumpkin, brown sugar, and vanilla to the regular pancake mix. 

I'm going to put the muffin recipe at the bottom of the post because I took like 8,000 pics :)

I also did something new today: gardening.  If you can even call it that.  Last week I was at the Zoo Walmart and saw some "Daydream Tulip" bulbs.  The picture was so pretty that I couldn't help but pick up a package, knowing full well that I know nothing about gardening, but the directions seemed pretty easy (dig a hole, plant bulb, cover).  I was so excited about the prospect of finally having some landscaping in our yard and being able to enjoy some beautiful fall colors.  I started digging my holes, and was tired of the whole idea by the 3rd hole, but I couldn't just stop because I spent like a whopping $2.99 on the bulbs.  After finishing my planting (and wanting to vomit at all of the nasty worms ) and upon further inspection of the package I realized it said "Fall Planting," not "Fall Blooming."  Shucks.  They don't even bloom until spring!  What good are fall colored flowers going to do for me in April?!  I'm a little perturbed.  And that will be the end of my gardening career.  At least until I plant the boxwoods I want out front... ;)

Here is what the tulips will look like when/if, they bloom several months from now:



I'm almost to the recipe, I promise.  But, look at the pumpkin I made today!  I'm planning on making the one I featured in my last post about Fall later on this week, but here's the one I did today:




(*cheerleader pumpkin?! ha)




Pumpkin Spice Muffins


1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup packed pumpkin (note: this is not the same as pie filling)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 tbsp. for topping
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon (I used more like 1 1/2 tsp. because I just love cinnamon)
*Makes 18 regular size muffins*




Preheat the oven to 350 and line your muffin pans.


Whisk together: pumpkin, oil, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, baking soda, and salt.






In a seperate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.






Whisk the flour combination into the pumpkin mixture.  The key to muffin success is not overdoing the stirring, so don't be like me and think the whisk is like the coolest toy ever.






Use an icecream scooper to fill the muffin pan (genius idea, btw)






Mix together the cinnamon and extra sugar in a separate bowl


Sprinkle on top of each muffin






Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean







Eat hot, with lots of butter! (I purposely didn't show this picture, I didn't want to be judged by the amount of butter I use ... :))

No comments:

Post a Comment